main themes: moments - news - diary of

Thursday, November 03, 2005

My Diamond Grandmother

…Diamonds are forever, my grandmother once told me. I laughed. So Cliché.

…Diamonds are the stone of engagement rings. Her original engagement ring, the one I now wear on my finger. Representing love. Representing their eternal love. An eternal bond, a gift given and received with more love then one can imagine.

…Diamonds go with anything. I slip into jeans and a sloppy T-shirt, a pair of diamond earrings and a diamond necklace. I do not flinch, there is no contradiction in style.

‘Of course, personally, I think it would tacky if I wore diamonds before I was forty’ announced Holly Golightly the first time I watched Breakfast at Tiffany’s, with my grandmother, sitting in a room splashed by tiny flitting rainbows from a crystal drop by the window.

I sit at the table, looking at the ring. Diamonds, like true love, span time.


I look at my grandmother, and she smiles. I do love my grandmother, she gives me the foundation that makes me, me. No diamond could outlast the love and respect I have for her.

No comments: